Thursday, July 16, 2009

Baby thoughts - what worked for me...

I have several friends who will be having their first babies and a couple have asked about advice, so here are my thoughts. I started this list to reflect and regroup as I got ready for my second, and just updated it.... If you have any thoughts to share for a first time mom, please add a comment : )

1. Be careful with all those "getting ready for baby books" they can be toxic and make you feel bad when things don't "fit". I stopped looking at them... Although my favorite book was one my friend Vicki got me, called .......... it's upstairs and Halina is still sleeping...
2. The whole "swaddling" thing really worked for us. Whoever this chic is, she does a good job: watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYPqGtFBYQ After Halina was ~3mos old, she could get out of a swaddle, no matter how good of a job we did. The baby blanket sleepers became my favorite.
3. Witch Hazel, and Medela Purelan 100 were good friends those first few weeks. I did find that http://www.nuturecenter.com/ was helpful to order things, including new tubes for a used medela breast pump - the expensive ones are so worth it, but a hand me down is just as well....
4. If you haven't already installed your baby seat. There are free services offered locally. Ours was at a large car dealer and sponsored by kids safety or state patrol.... This was really worthwhile to do for the first time and to learn how to do it properly in your type of car. Britax has been our favorite. It's expensive, but you can find free shipping and they last a long time.
5. I became hooked on a TV series that I watched once a day. I think it was important that it was light hearted and sweet. I'm still looking to see what it can be for this next maternity leave, but while I was home with Halina, it was Gilmore Girls. I now own all 7 seasons. Any friends who would like to borrow them, let me know....
6. Pick one medical/ pediatric reference guide and stick to it.
7. Have a diapering kit ready to go in each car and stroller.
8. Sometimes leaving Halina in her car seat to continue a nap after a car ride was the best thing ever. Kids don't get "cramped" feeling until their older.
9. Keep single use pedialites on hand.
10. Get brave with clipping nails, while your baby is sleeping. They grow so fast and will scratch themselves easily.
11. Best toy was the tinylove.com "gymini Total Playground-Kick and play" - it has a lot of info on it and things to do at different ages. http://www.tinylove.com/toy.aspx?toyId=46&state=toyTypeId=1@elementId=0@ageId=0
12. A pack in play has been perfect to keep the babies on our room at first. It also comes in handy when I want a safe place (close by) to but her while I shower.
13. I love the Bjorn carrier, although I didn't feel like my body was ready to handle it until week 4 or 5. Hubby did better and both girls LOVED it and would sleep happily.
14. I went a little crazy buying things online while I was stuck at home with Halina. I've done a little better with Caroline, but still, the feeling that I should buy everything I need "now" is hard to resist while not working. Here are some of the things I thought worthwhile:
Buppy name orbit labels http://www.inchbug.com/
15. I've saved a lot of $ and have gotten some of the cutest and most unique things from a kid consignment store. In fact, I've had a pack to not buy ANY clothes other than consigned ones. Between gifts and hand-me-downs I haven't had to give in yet....
16. If you want to prepare ahead. Pull some seasonally appropriate recipes to have on hand. Even if you don't cook them, they'll be handy for hubby or which ever guest is willing to really help. Speaking of which.... It will be useful to come up with concrete ways you think family can help and write them down. The last thing you want is for family to nag you about details of how exactly they can help.
17. Breast feeding was tough and PAINFUL at first, but SO worth it. With Halina I had to suppliment with formula - no big deal, I was still able to breast feed 75% of the time and lasted 7 months. With Caroline I haven't had to suppliment yet, but we'll see once I get back to work....

18. Diapers: I bought the first 2 sizes of bum genius all-in-ones - http://www.cottonbabies.com/
I bought 12 of each and waited a few weeks before using them. It has been worth it, but two things to consider: day cares will not use them and I did laundry every other day. I alternate and use disposables when I need to.
19. Car seats: We have the Bob too and it gets a LOT of good use. We've even bought the dualie now. I had the graco infant snug ride for when they fit in it because it's convenient when they fall asleep, we used the adapter for the bob and it was great. However, the Britax marathon has been my seat of choice and the one recommended by all my friends with kids.

20. As far as strollers go, we only have the Bobs for running and neighborhood walks. We've found that a front carrier while they're young and the backpack are best for most outings. And for any city/ town use, we use a simple $20 umbrella stroller - which I have several of to keep in both cars, etc. I do have the "snap and go" stroller to fit the graco carrier, but I hardly ever use it. Although, I'm now looking at a shoulder/ arm injury, but it's hard to pinpoint what caused it. In stores I just keep her in the carrier and put it in the grocery cart.

No comments: