Sunday, August 8, 2010

We wish it were an endless summer in NC...

Here is a brief journal of our days together.... About a month ago I gave in and got a Droid. It's changed how I do things. I found myself using facebook more and almost all of my photos were taken with the camera (which isn't bad).

Thank you to my parents and Joanne and Elaine for opening their homes to us!!!

Friday, July 17th my parents and I attended my Aunt Diane’s Drs apt. It was sad to see her. It doesn’t seem like she is doing much “living” anymore. Alzheimer’s is just a horrible disease. I had a sitter in so that Lauren and Nijole could enjoy time at the beach. That afternoon we spent time at Erin’s. That evening my parents watched Halina and Caroline after they went to bed. The girls all went out to Café Pheonix in downtown; which was really nice.


Sat. morning we left Caroline with my parents and took Halina and Fletcher out to the marsh in the boat. They both had to wear life vests and Halina was quiet and once we arrived in the marsh she didn’t want to get down from my arms. She did momentarily, but even at an isolated beach, she wouldn’t move out of my arms. That afternoon we went back to Erin’s for dinner, it’s so nice to do dinner in. Erin makes it all feel so easy. : )


Sunday morning my parents took Halina to church, then we all went out to eat at Sweet and Savory. It was good, but I certainly didn’t get to “savore” anything since Halina and Caroline got fussy. After nap it took a while to get Halina and Caroline over to Joanne’s. Halina refused the pool. Joanne and Elaine and I took the girls to Michalangelos for dinner. Halina ate there, but we brought the pizza back to my parent’s house. It was great to spend time with Joanne and Elaine.
Monday morning I ran and then did a grocery run while Morgan was at the house for 2 hours. Then we went with Fletcher and Erin to a nature class at Halburny park on leaf litter critters. This went well, then we ate at Mellow Mushroom. Afterwards, a mini nap later, we did a target run and then went to the library and for ice cream before calling it a day.


Tuesday morning I tried to take the girls to the beach. Halina again, wouldn’t let me put her down. I walked her up and down the beach and then we left and came to the pool at Joanne’s. It took Halina a while, but she eventually got in. A nap and a water play, then dinner at Erin and Woody’s.


Wednesday, a morning run, some work, then met Erin at the beach and for some lite Mayfaire shopping.. Halina is getting better with pool time....


Thursday we did a morning at the aquarium with Erin and Fetcher, then lunch at a little surf café – delicious Mahi tacos. After naptime we picked-up Ratatoui – the Disney film, had ice cream and then Morgan came for to squeeze in a run and a stop by five guys for dinner. I finally got to talk to Michal – at last – yeah.


Friday was wonderful. I took the girls downtown to the Children’s Museum. Halina had a blast in the grocery store, diner, and then outside – painting her feet. We had parked outside at a meter and it cost about $2.00/ hour. It was worth it. We walked to the river walkway, schedule a sunset cruise for my parents and Joanne and Elaine, then had a light lunch at a little French Café – gazpacho for me and a hot dog for Halina – she pealed off the pastry…. They both took a delicious nap and I drink a beer a swam. Erin, then Woody and Fletcher swam with all of us. Halina did really well. We made a quick move from my parents’ house and then got news that my parents were coming.




Saturday morning we picked-up my Mom to go to the beach. Halina was still hesitant. After breakfast at Sweet and Savory, my Dad painted his living room and Halina and I painted in the dining while Caroline slept. Bad move because, later, when Halina slept, Caroline didn’t – no break. That evening my parents brought Mama Fu’s pad Thai back for me.
Sunday I went running and did some Internet work and groceried. My Mom came over for the pool, we did a Target run and purchased things for Aunt Diana and matching purple dresses for the girls. Lunch was at Macaroni Grill and then naps, my parents left. Sunday evening we met Woody and Erin for a picnic at the beach around 5:30PM. Halina was still unwilling to walk on her own, but we had a lovely time – The Whittles brought me Jersey Mikes Italian sub.



Monday I ran, then went to my parents’ house to have cable hooked-up and to sell bicycles that were left-overs from my previous menacing tenants. After a quick stop at the library, I lobbied for naps…. Caroline took five or six steps in a row!!!!


Tuesday I met Erin and Lorre at The children’s museum and then we went out for lunch at Nikki’s downtown.




Wednesday morning I went out with Erin after an early morning run. We did an easy picnic breakfast at the arboretum, library trip, and stopped by a few shops. The girls did not nap…


Thursday morning I went to the Y for a 40 minute swim…. The girls did not nap… At night I watched TV for the first time.


Friday morning everyone arrived and we met for some pool time together.


Saturday morning we picked up my Mom and went to the aquarium. I set-up a sunset cruise, 2 hours of food and music, with Wilmington Cat = a catamaran for my Mom's and Joanne's B-day - They say it was wonderful. Halina really wanted to join them... Maybe next summer.



Monday, August 2nd, 2010 was a happy day, since I was anticipating Michal’s arrival. The girls and I went to “Fit for Fun” with Erin and Fletcher (Lorrie and Evan too). I was finally able to get Halina down for a nap after giving her a bowl of rice, carrots, and broccoli and going for a stroller ride to see turtles. Joanne and Elaine did errands and we were able to get a couple of hours by the pool before they had to leave.



Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 what a delicious morning. Halina was sooo pleased. Even baby Caroline suggested she knew her Daddy was home. We took it moderately slow and headed to the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher. We were there from 9AM til 11:30AM and then walk onto the beach. Michal was able to get Halina to walk on the beach. We drove back and Michal made us salads while the girls slept. Eric, Becca, Ana, and Laura visited. I ran out for 30 sticky fingers wings just before they came; 20 would have been enough. It was nice to see them with the guys more relaxed. We had our first date night. It was a sped date, were we picked out a new wedding band for Michal (more comfortable than the previous titanium clonker), then to Belk’s for a couple of new shirts for Michal, 20 minutes for pizza and Fat Tire on tap at BRIXX, and finally saw Salt in the theater. Home by 10PM….



Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 The girls slept in until 7AM, Halina would have kept sleeping, but we had together up for pictures. We met Erin at the Arboretum for family pictures; this made me happy. Then breakfast at Sweet and Savory, Halina ate well – bacon, eggs, and wheat toast. Milk poured into the tiny little cups of creamer kept Halina very content. We then spent a couple of hours at the Children’s Museum where Halina spent the longest time in the art room coloring with colored pencils. Their set-up got me very excited about setting-up something for the girls at home…. White high shelves… a place to sit, colorful art and supplies handy…. I’ve got to get at least one summer project in! We walked along the riverfront and stopped at “Hot Pink Stand” which sold cupcakes in a trendy little shop. It was “OK”, but not fantastic. After attempting to get Halina home for a nap, we just did pool time with Fletcher. Date night found us running 50 minutes around middle sound loop (5+ miles) and then sushi at Bento Box; ummm…


Thursday, August 5th, 2010 we met Erin, Woody, and Fletcher for a morning out in the tidal pools. Caroline (at one year) was uncomfortable in her life vest, but it was worth it. Halina was sooo excited to go in “fletcher’s boat” and did wonderfully in the “baby” tidal pools. It was a gorgeous morning in every way. Woody paddled a paddle board that you stand on and we all got a try at it; what fun! The kids found a tiny starfish and a hermit crab. For a couple of hours Michal and I dealt with the Dart and kayak at my parents house, then we picked up the girls and did more errands. Dinner was delivery of Italian from Antonios and we watch 5 episodes of “Weeds”.


Friday, August 6th, 2010 our last day in Wilmington meant a day of organizing our stuff and cleaning. This has me thinking about packing, so I’ve updated the packing list for our next vacation. Having canvas bags and the inexpensive canvas bins to pack and store items really has helped. Despite the pending cleaning and preparations for home, we got out of the house for 8:30Am and went to the beach. After a few trips to fill her pail with water, Halina gained enough confidence to enjoy the waves for an hour or so. Caroline also loved walking in the waves. When we got home, we cleaned and organized… We met with Jim at the Kornerstone Bistro in hamsted. It was great to see him.

1 comment:

Rika said...

What a busy and full trip!! Love the pics and hearing about your days. xo