Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowy blackouts = brrrr

Day 1 - Heavy, wet, & fast snow arrives around 4PM and "paralyzes" roads west of 95. It takes Michal 2 hours to get home from base (typically 25 minutes). Our power goes out at around 7:30PM...  There is frequent lightning.  Here's the next morning... strangely calm
Day 2 - I was foolishly optimistic.... I spent the day, trying to make the girls happy. Playseum for 2+hours, then Five Guys for lunch, then to Emily and John's for the afternoon, dinner in Silver Springs b/ c they lost their power again, and as we got ready to head to Anapolis (the closest area with hotel availability), Lauren called and invited us to her warming home.

Day 3 - I bring the girls to day care for ease of meals and play.  I get coffee and a bagel from "Goldberg's" on Georgia Ave - ummmm.. Although, this was after attempting 2 other locations, only to find they have no power.  I spent the entire rest of the day cleaning and organizing in my fridged house.  I wore a hat the entire time, but was just happy to not be glued to my phone for "notice" that the power was back on.  I was hopeful that we still might get to have Halina's Birthday party.  Hopes shatter in late afternoon.  We take refuge at Emily and John's until Michal gets off of work and head to Michal's parents' home in NJ.  - The right decision.
Rice Crispy Chicken - I remember loving this from when I was little.... This recipe is delicious, although Halina had me eat the outside (the good part) and she cleaned the bone.
1/4 cup butter, melted1 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal, coarsely crushed

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend (lowry's)

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders (I used drum sticks)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.  Place butter in a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, mix the crushed cereal, flour, and seasoning blend. Dip chicken tenders in the butter, then press in the cereal mixture to evenly coat. Arrange in the prepared baking dish. Drizzle with any remaining butter.

Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken juices run clear.






2 comments:

Grace said...

Thank you for the pictures. :) Halina's smile :) is contagious. Grandma

Rika said...

what an adventure!! xo